Land Vs Sea
Land Vs Sea
👤 Players: 2-4
⏰ Time: 40min
Part puzzle, part game. Play as either Land or Sea (or the Cartographer in a 3 player game). Each player plays with 2 double-sided hex tiles containing a mix of land and sea shapes. They take turns placing a tile each to make a map together. Land places tiles trying to complete land areas, and Sea places tiles trying to complete sea areas. Completed areas score a point per tile; land areas for Land, sea areas for Sea. Some tiles score bonus points for whoever completes the area they are in. So players may decide to strategically complete rival’s areas to gain their bonus points. Other tiles allow players to play their second tile, or steal a player’s tile - but not their last one!
Using 2 double-sided tiles (one side always revealed and the other always hidden until played) means there is partial information to plan around, and some surprises too. Players replenish back up to 2 tiles from a choice of 2 face-up tile stacks.
The strategy of the game involves careful tile placement to score from as many land or sea areas as possible, while minimising your rivals’ opportunities to score from the tiles you play. Watch your rivals’ possible plays, and control tempo strategically with Play Again and Steal tiles. Look out for opportunities to score valuable bonus points in your and your rivals’ areas. Carefully select tiles as you replenish your hand to prepare for your next turn.
The game ends once the last tile is placed. The player or team with the most points wins.
The basic Land vs Sea game is simple enough for light / family gamers. After you have played the basic game, you can unlock more scoring options on the tiles to add surprising depth:
1. Mountain & Coral scoring - score for cumulative chains of connected Mountain (Land) / Coral (Sea) sections.
2. Caravan & Ship scoring - score for Caravans & Ships added to Trade Routes on the map, and score each Trade Route you have majority in (more Caravans scores the Trade Route for Land, more Ships for Sea) at the end of the game.
3. Waypoints - bonus points you can place on the map to entice cooperation, or score for yourself.
2, 3 & 4 player modes:
You can play head to head with 2 players, or with 4 players in teams using the basic rules and any of the additional scoring options. 4 player games use Waypoints to prevent alpha players directly instructing their partner.
The challenging 3 player mode uses all of the additional scoring options in a more asymmetric game. The Cartographer scores by connecting Mountain and Coral sections, and all players compete for bonus points and Trade Route scoring.
- We ship items out Monday - Friday. Orders received by 9AM Central Time will be shipped out the same business day.
- We utilize both USPS and UPS for shipping services. Both options should be displayed during checkout if the customer is paying for shipping.
- If the order contains nothing but books, we can use USPS Media Mail to keep your shipping costs low. If board games are included on the order, we are unable to utilize Media Mail.
- On orders that qualify for free shipping, we utilize the most cost-effective option based on the destination location (this is usually UPS).
New Items are able to be returned within 30 days of receipt in the same condition they were shipped in. New items that have been opened will not be accepted for return. Return shipping is at buyer's expense.
Used Items are able to be returned if they are found to not be in the described condition. Please contact us within 48 hours of receipt to discuss return options.
Free Shipping on Orders Over $149!
Shipping discount applied automatically when your cart total passes the free ship threshold!
Used Games Are Always Guaranteed to be 100% Complete
We piece check every used game that comes in on trade at All Systems Go. Does it take forever? Yes. Do we think it's still important? Also yes.