Golem is an engine-building game by Simone Luciani, Virginio Gigli and Flaminia Brasini, the same team that brought you Grand Austria Hotel and Lorenzo il Magnifico.
The game is based on the 16th-century legend of the Golem of Prague, an anthropomorphic creature that Rabbi Loew animated from a clay statue to protect his people. In the game, players take on the role of rabbis who create and grow these powerful creatures that will be moved around the neighborhoods of Prague under the control of students. Be careful, because if a golem becomes too powerful, it will destroy everything it encounters on its way. Players can also kill their Golems in order to get bonuses.
Players also create powerful artifacts and acquire knowledge by collecting ancient books.
The game is divided into four rounds, and each round is composed of 7 phases:
- Golem Movement
- Actions (2 marble actions and 1 rabbi action)
- Turn Order
- Influence Character
- Income and Development
- Golem Control
At the beginning of each round, the players will shuffle the colored marbles into the 3D synagogue that will split them into five lines corresponding to the five main actions available in the game:
- Work: By paying Knowledge, you can activate the Golem placed in the city of Prague and get bonuses.
- Golem: Obtain clay to create new golems and upgrade the developments on your personal board.
- Artifact: Obtain coins and buy gold to build artifacts that offer permanent bonuses in the game and upgrade developments on your personal board.
- Spells: Obtain Knowledge and perform spells (with a scoring for book collection) and upgrade developments on your personal board.
- Mirror: Perform one action of your choice by paying 1 coin.
The number of marbles available in the corresponding action line determines how much the player gets from the action. When you choose an action, you collect one marble of your choice in the corresponding line and depending on the color of the marble you chose, you also move your student forward on one of the districts of Prague.
It's important to advance your students on those tracks to be able to keep your golems under control. At the end of the round, knowledge can also be used to control a golem that surpassed its students, but if one of these creatures is uncontrolled, it may become dangerous and destroy the neighborhood, after which you will have to destroy and bury it!
The marble color also matters, because at the end of the round, if you get the correct combination of two colors, you receive the favor of one of the powerful Prague characters, which will differ each round.
At the end of the fourth round, players score points for active or buried golems, artifacts, books, development on their personal board, and collected goal cards.
- We ship items out Monday - Friday. Orders received by 9AM Central Time will be shipped out the same business day.
- We utilize both USPS and UPS for shipping services. Both options should be displayed during checkout if the customer is paying for shipping.
- If the order contains nothing but books, we can use USPS Media Mail to keep your shipping costs low. If board games are included on the order, we are unable to utilize Media Mail.
- On orders that qualify for free shipping, we utilize the most cost-effective option based on the destination location (this is usually UPS).
New Items are able to be returned within 30 days of receipt in the same condition they were shipped in. New items that have been opened will not be accepted for return. Return shipping is at buyer's expense.
Used Items are able to be returned if they are found to not be in the described condition. Please contact us within 48 hours of receipt to discuss return options.
Free Shipping on Orders Over $149!
Shipping discount applied automatically when your cart total passes the free ship threshold!
Used Games Are Always Guaranteed to be 100% Complete
We piece check every used game that comes in on trade at All Systems Go. Does it take forever? Yes. Do we think it's still important? Also yes.